These Three Drinks Caused A South Carolina Teen To Die Of A Caffeine Overdose
A South Carolina coroner determined that 16-year-old Davis Allen Cripe died of a caffeine overdose.
Cripe collapsed last month, and Richland County coroner Gary Watts said that the teen had so much caffeine at the time of his death that it caused arrhythmia.
On this particular day within the two hours prior to his death, we know had consumed a large diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte from McDonalds and also some type of energy drink.
It is common knowledge that overconsumption of energy drinks isn’t good news for the heart, but the scariest part about what killed Cripe is that it doesn’t seem outlandish compared to what some of us may consume on a daily basis.
Watts says the autopsy didn’t determine there was any type of undiagnosed heart condition and in the end Cripe’s intake of caffeine simply exceeded what would be “considered a safe level” based on his weight.
The FDA says that caffeine in doses up to 400 mg is generally safe. To give you an idea, 400 mg of caffeine is about five cups of coffee.
The Food and Drug Administration has said that caffeine in doses up to 400 mg (about five cups of coffee) is generally safe. It is unknown what energy drink Cripe had in addition to his Diet Mountain Dew and his latte, but Watts said it isn’t about blaming or putting down a particular brand or drink.
The purpose here today is not to slam Mountain Dew, not to slam cafe lattes, or energy drinks. But what we want to do is to make people understand that these drinks — this amount of caffeine, how it’s ingested, can have dire consequences. And that’s what happened in this case.
How do you feel about sodas, coffees and energy drinks? Do you consume them regularly? If so how many, and how often?