How to Downsize Your Home
Recently I have made the decision to move into a new apartment. In the process I am attempting to downsize my belongings. I started the process today, and I can tell you from experience that it can get very overwhelming very quickly. However, if you take on the heavy duty task of going through each and every corner of your hope to sort things into "keep it" or "not keep" it piles I have a few tips for you.
- Take on one room at a time.
- Set up a reasonable timeline even if that means spreading out the entire process along a few days.
- When deciding what to keep, donate, or throw away ask yourself how often do I use this item? Does the item I want to keep have a purpose or function, or is it taking up space?
- Use someone else's opinion if you can't decide. This is where my boyfriend has come in handy. His go to is always throw it away or donate it. I have more of a sentimental approach and that can get in the way.
- Golden Rule: If you haven't used it or worn it in a year get rid of it. My mother has always said that.
I hope this is helpful. If not take a trip over to HGTV they have a whole article on downsizing that is a great read to distract yourself while your on a break from figuring out if that mascara in your makeup back is still usable.