My Horse Paisano Underwent Emergency Colic Surgery
I had a rough weekend, but not as rough as one of my four legged friends. I know a lot of people don't understand the attachment people have for their horses, but he's not only my big buddy, he's my partner and friend. Paisano is a good guy and he works hard to keep me safe. That's was why it was so hard to get home from work Friday night to discover he was suffering from colic. After two separate visits from our vets at Haughton Animal, the decision was made to take him to Red River Equine Hospital. We finally left the clinic around 2am Saturday morning and just a few short hours later, we got the dreaded call at 5am. He wasn't getting any better. In fact, he was getting worse.
To operate or not to operate? It's a hard decision. Surgery of any kind can be risky, especially with an older horse. It's also a huge financial commitment. We made the decision to operate, which is a good thing, because after surgery, Dr. Lewis told us there was no way the situation could have resolved itself medically, meaning, if he wouldn't have had the operation, he would have died. His colon had be displaced.
The surgery was successful and I was finally allowed to see him around noon Saturday. My sweet guy was groggy from the anesthesia and in pain, but it was better than the alternative. At this point, I'm hoping and praying we make it to the 72 hour mark. If he can make it to 72 hours without complications, he has a good chance at recovery.
I would like to publicly thank Dr. Nelson Lewis at Red River Equine Hospital for spending so much time with my big guy. Dr. Lewis, Toby, Ron and the entire staff have made us welcome and are giving Paisano top notch care. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing all you have to save my sweet Pai-man!
P.S. This isn't the first time Red River Equine Hospital has saved one of our horses. Two years ago they were able to save our little Azteca mare Sunrise. She was able to recover without surgery.