Mega Millions Lands on List of Largest Lottery Jackpots in U.S. History
No one hit all six numbers in the Mega Millions drawing Tuesday night, so the jackpot for Friday climbs to $530 million dollars and it moves onto the list of the biggest jackpots in history.
I'm already dreaming about the big ticket items I will buy once my numbers roll in.
Here’s a list of the top 20 prizes from the multistate games: Powerball and Mega Millions:
1. $1.6 billion Powerball January 13, 2016. There were 3 winning tickets for this prize. These tickets were purchased in Tennessee, Florida and California. Each had the option to take a lump sum of $327.8 million.
2. $1.5 billion Mega Millions October 2018. There was one winning ticket purchased in South Carolina. The ticket was sold at a KC Mart convenience store in the town of Simpsonville. This is the largest single ticket jackpot in U.S. history.
3. $758 million, Powerball won August 24, 2018 by Mavis Wanczyk of Massachusets. She chose the lump sum payment of $480 million.
4. $656 million, Mega Millions, won March 30, 2012, by three tickets, sold in Maryland, Illinois and Kansas. Cash: $471 million
5. $648 million, Mega Millions, won Dec. 17, 2013, in Georgia and California. Cash: $347.6 million.
6. $625 million Powerball jackpot is up for grabs on Saturday, March 23, 2019. The lump sum payout would be $380 million.
7. $590.5 million, Powerball, won May 18, 2013, in Florida. Cash: $370.9 million. Record for most cash collected by a single winner.
8. $587.5 million, Powerball, won Nov. 28, 2012, by two tickets, sold in Missouri and Arizona. Cash: $384.7 million
9. $564 million, Powerball jackpot was one by one ticket in New Hampshire in the drawing on Saturday, January 6, 2018.
10. $559.7 million Powerball, A single ticket was sold at Reeds Ferry Market in Merrimack, NH. The winning ticket holder wants to remain anonymous.
11. $543 million Mega Millions. There was one winning ticket sold in California in the July 2018 drawing.
12. $536 million Mega Millions, a single ticket was sold in Indiana on July 8, 2016.
13. $530 million Mega Millions, jackpot for Friday, June 7, 2019.
14. $487 million Powerball, winning ticket was sold in New Hampshire on July 30, 2016.
15. $455 million, Powerball, winning ticket was sold in Pennsylvania on March 17, 2018.
16. $450 million, Mega Millions ticket was sold in Florida for the January 5th, 2018 drawing.
17. $448.4 million, Powerball, for Aug. 7, 2013, drawing, won by 3 tickets, 2 of them in New Jersey, one in Minnesota. Cash: $258.2 million.
18. $447.8 million Powerball had one winner. Jeff Lindsay of California, who bought his Powerball ticket with the funds from a winning scratch ticket on June 10, 2017.
19. $435 million Powerball was won on February 22, 2017. An anonymous ticket holder in Indiana was the single winner.
20. $429.6 million Powerball winner from New Jersey. The ticket was held by the Smith family lottery pool. It was purchased on May 7, 2016.