Here’s How to Donate School Supplies for Shreveport-Bossier Kids
If you've been wondering how you can help out our local Shreveport-Bossier City, LA kids and families this year for back to school, here's a list of school supply drives in our area that you can still donate to!
How expensive is back to school this year?
Experts are saying back to school expenses are reaching record highs this year, especially with regard to electronics. In fact, according to a recent study, the average cost, per child, for back to school expenses this year is $890.07. That's a lot of money! We're hoping that with that in mind, you'll be able to help out some of our local kids.
When do kids go back to school in our area?
Classes are back in session in DeSoto Parish on August 7th, while the first day for students in Caddo Parish is August 9th. Students in Bossier Parish report back to school on August 10th. Bossier Parish kindergarteners return August 17th and pre-k starts August 24th.
Where can I donate school supplies to help local children and families?
- SPAR is holding a back-to-school supply drive called 'Stuff the Van' through July 31 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm daily. Supplies can be dropped off at Wildwood Park, located at 7401 Jewella Ave.
- United Way of Northwest Louisiana's Fill the Bus School Supply Drive is back again with dates and locations listed below:
- Saturday, July 29th, 10 am - 5:30 pm at Walmart Supercenter, 4701 Northport Boulevard, Shreveport, LA 71107
- Friday, August 4th, 12 pm – 5:30 pm at Walmart Supercenter, 2536 Airline Drive, Bossier City, LA 71111
- Saturday, August 5th, 10 am – 3:30 pm at Walmart Supercenter, 2536 Airline Drive, Bossier City, LA 71111
- The Bossier Chamber of Commerce is hosting a Pack the Bus School Supply Drive to benefit Bossier Parish Schools on Thursday, August 3 from 11 am to 1:30 pm. There will be two drop-off locations: The Walmart Neighborhood Market at 4000 Barksdale Boulevard and the Bossier Chamber Office at 710 Benton Road.
Where can I get help with school supplies for my child?
Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport is hosting a Back to School Bash at its St. Mary Medical Center location on Saturday, August 5. Attendees will receive a free backpack and school supplies, while supplies last. The event will be held 9 am to 12 pm at Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport – St. Mary Medical Center, 911 Margaret Place, Shreveport, LA 71101.