K945 Practices Safe Text Videos
As we’re finding, cell phones aren’t just dangerous in the car. It’s important to know who you’re talking to while Facebooking, texting and Twittering. Take the pledge to Practice Safe Text… on the road and online… to get in free to the ‘see and be seen’ event of the year! Download your pledge here and bring it to the game or sign it before the game with the K945 Street Team!
Some facts about the dangers of texting and driving: There's no reason to sugarcoat it -- texting while driving is a BAD idea. A recent study shows that texting while driving makes you 23.2 times more likely to be involved in a crash or near crash AND it’s illegal in Louisiana.
• A quarter of 16 to 17 year-olds self-report having texted while driving
• Distracted driving kills nearly 6,000 people per year - 40% of them, teenagers
• Drivers simply talking on a cell phone take an average 20% longer to hit the brakes when needed
• Drivers who use hand-held devices are 4 times more likely to get into an injury accident
• Younger, more inexperienced drivers (under 20 years old) have the highest proportion of distraction-related fatal crashes
• Automobile accidents are the number one killer of teens, surpassing every other category
• Adolescents are physiologically incapable of the same levels of impulse control as adults - they can't resist answering
• Texting and driving continues to increase in States where recent bans have been implemented
• Adults are setting the example. They are just as likely as teens to be guilty of texting while driving, and are "substantially more likely to have talked on the phone while driving." - Pew Research Center, June, 2010
WHAT: Practice Safe Text Event with specials guests Andy Grammer and Manika
WHEN: Friday, August 19, 2011 7:05pm
WHERE: Fairgrounds Field Shreveport
WHY: Educate about the dangers of texting and driving as well as internet safety. It’s also a great chance to mix education with fun… Kick off back to school and be seen at the see and be seen event of the year!