Make Your Own Mardi Gras Bead Voodoo Doll in Bossier City, LA
Looking for something to do with all of those leftover Mardi Gras beads? Turn them into your own crafting masterpiece Saturday, May 20th, 2023, in Bossier City, LA at a special sip, shop, and create workshop! The workshop is being held at The Gift Shop at Office Furniture Source starting at 10 am.
So what will you be making at this particular Sip, Shop, Soirée Saturday at OFS? A voodoo doll made out of Mardi Gras beads! The class costs $45 and space is limited, so if you're interested, you might want to make sure you get there early. You can bring your own leftover Mardi Gras beads or use the ones provided.
If you're wondering what a voodoo doll is exactly, Wikipedia says, 'The term Voodoo doll commonly describes an effigy into which pins are inserted. Such practices are found in various forms in the magical traditions of many cultures around the world. Despite its name, the dolls are not prominent in Haitian Vodou and not used in Louisiana Voodoo.' Wikipedia goes on to explain, 'The practice has been denounced and declared irrelevant to Voodoo religion by those in High Priesthood of Louisiana Voodoo.' I find that explanation interesting because you can buy voodoo dolls all over the French Quarter in New Orleans. Who knew?
Further searching online uncovered an explanation of how to use a voodoo doll on WikiHow. According to them, voodoo dolls get a bad rap because they can be used for good as well as evil. WikiHow suggests using your voodoo doll to create positive change. They also have instructions on how to create a doll to represent a specific person and for harming another. We're just going to ignore those uses for the purpose of this article. However, here are WikiHow's steps to create positive change using a voodoo doll.
How to use a voodoo doll to create positive change according to WikiHow:
1. Concentrate on your desires. First, meditate for a few minutes to clear your mind of distracting thoughts. While holding your voodoo doll, focus on the desired effect you hope it will bring. Set an intention for your doll, such as healing, fertility, love, success, money, growth, power, or protection.
2. Insert colored pins to represent your desires. Traditionally, there are 7 colored pins you can use on a voodoo doll. Pick the colored pin that matches the intention you have for your doll. Here are the colors you can use and their meanings:
- Yellow: success and confidence
- Green: growth and money
- White: positivity and healing
- Red: love and power
- Purple: spirituality and wisdom
- Blue: peace and love
- Black: repelling negative energies
3. Petition the spiritual beings of Voodoo, called Loas. The Loas (also called Lwas) aren’t gods—they’re spirits who act as intermediaries between people and God. To appeal to the Loas, set up an altar and place your voodoo doll on it. Then, light a candle and offer a small sacrifice to the Loas, like a snack, drink, or flower.
There ya have it! If you go to the class, I want to know how it went. Shoot me a picture of your finished doll using our free app or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.