Helpful Tips and Rules for Saturday’s Gemini Parade in Shreveport
If you're heading out to the Krewe of Gemini Mardi Gras Parade in Shreveport, we've got you covered with this year's revised start time, tips, and rules from the Shreveport Police Department.
The Krewe of Gemini parade is this Saturday, February 26, 2022, starting at 3 pm.
I don't know about you, but I'm so ready for Mardi Gras this year. However, it's typical for people to get upset if they feel like they aren't catching enough beads. Chances are if you think you're not catching enough, you're probably in a 'No Throw' zone or you're getting too close to the float. We don't want to be spoilsports here, but all of the rules we have in place per the City of Shreveport and the krewe, are there for not only your safety but for the safety of the float riders who are throwing you trinkets that they paid for out of their own pockets! Stay back please so we can all have a good time!
One of the big things to remember this year is that the parade is rolling at 3 pm which is earlier than in past years.
Here's the guidance we received from the Shreveport Police Department:
There WILL be a hard closure of the parade route at 1 pm. This means no traffic will be allowed on the route after 1 pm. This is for the safety of the citizens gathering on the route.
The roads will be blocked with the help of all City of Shreveport Departments and Agencies. The Parade will start at 3 pm.
The Following City of Shreveport Ordinances WILL be enforced:
- NO Uncontained Burning (must be in a fire-rated structure)
- NO ATV’S or OFF-ROAD Vehicles on the Parade Route
- NO Glass Bottles along the parade route
- NO Banners within 50 ft of Parade Route
- NO Animals (Service Animals Excluded)
- NO THROWBACKS
- PARADE VENDORS must be Licensed
Police will close Clyde Fant Parkway from Lake Street to Shreveport-Barksdale Highway beginning at 7:00 pm Friday night before the parade. Clyde Fant Parkway will then re-open to traffic at 7:00 am on parade day so people can set up early Saturday. The staging area between Milam Street and Lake Street on Clyde Fant will be closed at 8:00 a.m.
Members of the public will not be allowed to set up tents or recreational vehicles nor will they be allowed to save parking spaces on Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway or on the service road between Stoner Avenue and Shreveport Barksdale Highway before 7:00 am on parade day. Any stakes, flagging tape, furniture, tents, and other such items left as space markers prior to 7:00 am will be removed and discarded by police. Violators are subject to citation, tow, and removal from the parade.
Attendees planning to park in the Broadmoor area towards the end of the parade route should obey all traffic and parking signs and remember not to block residential driveways. Officers will be posted at various locations along the parade route. It is vital that emergency vehicles be able to access residential streets, therefore parking ordinances will be strictly enforced. Violators’ vehicles are subject to tow at their own expense.
The parade will begin on Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway at Lake Street and run south on Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway to Shreveport-Barksdale Highway, west down Shreveport-Barksdale Highway to East Kings Highway, and then south on East Kings Highway to the end of the parade route on East Preston Avenue.
•Parking on East Kings Highway is reserved for permit holders only.
•No parking is allowed before 7:00 am on parade day on Shreveport-Barksdale Highway or the Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway. No parking is allowed at all on any neutral ground and improved roadway on Shreveport-Barksdale Highway.
•Citizens may not park in restricted areas marked with rope, cable, tape, or any other device used as a barricade.
•No parking is allowed on Captain Shreve Drive.
•Restricted parking allowed on residential streets from Albany Avenue to Patton Avenue. Some streets allow parking only on one side while other streets forbid parking. Look for parking signs and remember that the streets must remain clear for emergency vehicles. Violators’ vehicles are subject to tow at their own expense.
•Handicapped parking is available at the East Kings Highway Park, also known as the “Duck Pond”, at the Veterans Memorial Park on Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway and at Atlantic Avenue at East Kings Highway. A handicapped parking tag or plate will be necessary to gain access.
***The entire parade route will be closed at 1:00 p.m. Only emergency vehicles will be permitted to enter or leave the parade route after the closure.***
Parade day street closures:
8:00 am - Crockett Street from Spring Street to Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway.
8:00 am - Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway from Lake Street to Milam Street. Access to Sci-Port will be allowed until 4:00 pm via Lake Street.
1:00 pm - East Kings Highway (northbound and southbound) at Shreveport-Barksdale Highway to Preston Avenue.
At 1:00 pm the following streets will close:
- East Kings Highway at Preston Avenue
- East Kings Highway at Youree Drive
- Shreveport-Barksdale Highway (including the Shreveport-Barksdale Bridge)
- Clyde Fant Parkway from Milam Street to Shreveport-Barksdale Highway,
- Captain Shreve Drive, Knight Street, and Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway after the Parade turns onto East Kings Highway.
- On parade day, Lake Street will only be open between the hours of 7:00 am and 3:00 pm and will reopen at the end of the parade.
Clyde Fant Parkway between East 70th Street and Shreveport-Barksdale Highway will remain open. Knight Street will remain open from East Preston Avenue to Shreveport Barksdale Highway.
•Over 250 officers from the Shreveport Police Department and the Caddo Parish Sheriff’s Office will be working the parade. Officers will utilize patrol cruisers, horses, motorcycles, and foot patrols to ensure public safety. Your safety is our top priority.
•Police will utilize mounted cameras to monitor the parade route.
•Police will have mobile command buses positioned on Stoner Avenue near Clyde Fant Parkway, in the Shreve City parking lot, in the Super One Foods parking lot on Shreveport Barksdale, and on East Kings Highway Reilly Lane.
•The Shreveport Fire Department will have EMS crews stationed throughout the parade route.
No Throw Areas:
- The staging area on Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway north of Lake Street.
- The railroad tracks over Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway just north of Veteran’s Memorial Park.
- Stoner Avenue bridge over Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway.
- Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway exit to Shreveport-Barksdale Highway.
- The transitioning curve from Shreveport-Barksdale Highway to East Kings Highway
- Past the ending banner on East Kings Highway and any points thereafter.
- No glass bottles or containers are allowed on the parade route.
- No one may cross parade barricades during the parade.
- No animals are allowed within 200 yards of the parade route, except animals that are in secured yards of residents living along the parade route and service animals.
- No dangerous objects or silly string.
- No one may throw anything at a parade float.
- Large flags or banners are not allowed within 50 feet of the parade route.
- No underage possession of alcohol. Violators will be arrested.
- No public nudity will be tolerated. Violators will be arrested.
- No ATVs, side by sides, dirt bikes, or any other motorized recreational vehicles are allowed on any public property along the parade route, this includes the grassy areas along Clyde Fant Memorial Parkway and city streets. Violators will be subject to citation, arrest, and towing of the vehicle.
- Do not leave children unattended! Designate a meeting place in the event you find yourself accidentally separated from your children or other family members/friends.
- Do not fight or struggle over beads.
- Keep a safe distance from the floats.
- Leave valuables at home and secure your vehicles. Keep your keys secured.
- Do not take purses or wallets to parades. Keep money, keys, and identification secured on your person.
- Extinguish hot coals after cooking. Do not dump hot coals on the grass.
- Obey all traffic signs and directions from officers.
Most of all, have a great time! Laissez les bon temps rouler!